Digital Natives want electronics….
Kaybee, FAO Schwartz and Toys R US have all declared bankrupcy (NL: That’s sad…having manipulative toys is a key part of childhood, not to mention developing hand-eye coordination and motorskills)
Information and knowledge are the thermonuclear weapons of our time.
Era of Baby Boomers and their technology
- Color Television….
- Disney’s wild world of color… technology that drove things… 1 way broadcasting
- Passive ways of absorbing tech
Need for War Stories in the Workplace (Knowledge Management)
- Lockheed Martin hiring 14,000 in a year
- US Defense department will loose 500,000 people
- Average age of retirement is going down (59)
- Characteristics of Baby Boomers… formal learners
- Gamer Generation… informal learners
Games, games, games
- Casual games à Example you don’t know jack
- Girls play games
- 43% of gamers are female.
- Play PC games a lot more.
- Women over 40 fastest growing segment
- 70% use of Sims users are women under 25 (I am)
- Grounding kids – don’t send them to the room… Say…No Screens.
Multitasking and Absorbing all that information
- They like to think that they can multi-task… we don’t think so but they can…
- Kids can wipe out background distraction? Is this true?
- They have to deal with massive amounts of information. They’ve always had a lot of information.
Net-gen communication preferences
- Kids go to instant messaging from e-mail.
- E-mail is too SLOW. Again… e-mail is for old people
- Generation wants to share all the time and be virtual. Example: Twittr
- 85% of the kids have a media device
- 44% have two.
- 15% of 2-5 year olds have a cell phone.
- This kids are linked in…
- Internet has been around for 14 years
- Problem solver à can solve problems in game… some cases can apply outside of game
- Social à Online social via games and electronica
- World of Warcraft make Clans of people
- Informal Learners
- Don’t want to sit through 45 minutes of class when they can google to get the answer.
- 3D world where you get your own stuff.
My thoughts….There’s a diy movement right now I think that there’s no coincidence that this is happening as technology is moving us more into a virtual world.
People want to make physical things.
More games examples
- Laundering money in Second Life… Hey, vinny don’t forget the virtual cannoli…..
Protosphere… 3D business environment.
- Kids are getting into these games earlier.
- Disney.com… kids get involved in games where they build their own business.
- Nobelprize.org… learn about history via games
What the teacher should be today…
- More of a guide rather than a lecturer
- Not my best friend
- Socrates was a really great example of a guide
- We should Teach young people to be observant.
Mobile Learning Examples:
- Example settting up a display in a store
- Taking SOP’s and putting them in a video with audio that can be viewed on a hand-held device
- Note some things translate better to video than others
- Flight simulator game…
- Demonstration mode
- Sales rep game
- Teach a doctor how to sell pharmaceuticals
- Choose your strategy